Monotony can make almost anything in life seem mundane, and this applies to even the most persistent of us too. More of the same usually leaves us wanting less. It’s why fashion changes, relationships get spiced up, workouts get varied and why recipes are always in abundance. It’s an important part of sustainability and ensuring we don’t find life boring and bland. Variety is the spice of life. Thankfully this also applies to your protein shakes and your fitness lifestyle as a whole. It is also the reason we’re happy to share 4 great recipes for you to try to add a bit of variety to your protein shake menu and fitness regime. Read on to tantalise your tastebuds with something new.
Recipe 1: The French Toast Protein Shake
Who doesn’t like French toast? Exactly. First on our list is the French toast protein shake concocted by none other than Dashingdish, offering a hefty amount of protein (36g to be exact) with no fats and 7g of carbs and 4g of sugars. It’s a great treat and great whey to start the morning. What’s more, it only takes 5-10 min from prep to the first sip.
- 1/2 cup Fat free cottage cheese 
- 1 scoop Vanilla protein powder 
- 1 tsp Maple extract (or 2 tbps sugar free maple syrup)
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- Dash Nutmeg or pumpkin pie spice
- 3-5 Stevia packets (or sweetener of choice to taste)
- 1/2-1 cup Water (Alter this according to desired consistency)
- 5-10 Ice Cubes (Depending on how thick you like it, use less for a thinner consistency)
- 1/2 tsp Xanthan gum  (optional)
- 1/2 tsp Butter extract (optional)
How to make it
Simply grab all your ingredients, throw them into the blender until you get your desired creamy consistency and voila! Your French toast protein shake is ready.
Recipe 2: The Quintessential Homemade Protein Shake
Nothing says home like peanut butter and this next shake definitely has some of everyone’s favourite treat. Contributor and nutritionist, Rozzie Batchelar, isn’t on Jamie Oliver’s food team by coincidence; qualified in sports and exercise she is the creator of this easy-to-make shake.
- 1 banana, peeled
- 150g low-fat natural yoghurt or soya yoghurt
- 100ml of semi-skimmed milk or dairy-free milk
- 1 tbsp peanut butter
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- ½ tsp cinnamon (or to taste)
The name of the game is simplicity with this shake. Pour all the ingredients into your blender, turn it on, pour into your glass and drink to your heart’s content and body’s benefit.
For the next two recipes, we’re going to whiz across to Protein Pow where, founder and owner, Anna Sward has a few special shakes with a unique twist which you can make from the comfort of your kitchen.
Recipe 3: Unicorn Protein POW Shake
35 grams of protein doesn’t come anymore unique looking than Anna’s Unicorn Protein Shake. It’s a fruit-filled and protein packed experience. We highly recommend it, especially if you’re looking for a little inspiration with your current protein shake menu.
Ingredients (two glasses)
- A whole banana
- Two handfuls of blueberries
- The milk of your choice
- Four scoops of whey protein
- Pour milk blended with strawberries into a glass.
- Top it with blueberry fluff (the video is quick and easy to follow)
- Top it with banana fluff (made exactly like blueberry fluff but using frozen bananas)
- Top it with more blueberry fluff
Recipe 4: Coffee Protein Shake
This shake is features the best of both worlds, coffee and protein and is effortless to make. It was a welcome contribution from one of Anna’s followers named Ben and a gift worth sharing with you.
- 1 cup of cold coffee, chilled in your fridge overnight
- 1 ripe banana
- 1 tbsp of crunchy peanut butter
- 1 scoop of protein powder (either unflavored or vanilla)
- ½ cup of almond milk (or regular milk if you prefer)
- A handful of ice
That’s right, you guessed it! Simply take all your ingredients, chuck them in the blender and give it a whiz for about 30-45 seconds then pour it into a glass over ice. Sip slow, and savour the experience.
Why protein shakes & smoothies are awesome
- Fast digestion
- Lean muscle mass
- Easy to make with minimal prep time (convenience)
- Weight control and fat loss
- Nutrient intake from variety of ingredients
Have a special recipe of your own?
Since necessity is the mother of invention, we wouldn’t be surprised if you have a special recipe or two of your own to keep things fresh. Well, sharing is caring so if you have a recipe that you’d like us to try, share it with us and we may feature it in our next nutrition-focused blog – the more the merrier!
Powerhouse is your dedicated partner in reaching your fitness goals. We stay up to date with trends and developments in the industry bringing you top professional advice, quality equipment and first-rate supplements. Get in touch today and discover something new to upgrade your fitness regime.